STUDENTS RECEIVING THE STEVENS GRANT WILL RECEIVE THEIR TOOLS ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS.
ALL OTHER STUDENTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO PURCHASE THEIR TOOLS BY THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS.
“What should I buy?” or “What specifications are required for a personal computer?”
Practically anything you buy new will have the necessary network hardware but, when you are shopping for a computer, verify that it includes a network port (sometimes referred to as an “Ethernet” port.) We ask that the computer be kept up to date with patches from Microsoft and that a good antivirus package be installed and kept up-to-date, if you intend to connect the computer to the campus network.
Be aware of how much power you will need for your major. If your major will be computer intensive you may want to buy a higher powered PC. Check with your instructor to be sure.
PC/Laptop Specifications (suggested)
- Intel Core i5 10th generation or newer or AMD equivalent processor (or greater)
- 1024 x 768 or higher resolution monitor
- 250 GB of hard-disk space (or greater); Solid State drive required
- 8 GB of RAM or greater
- Wired/Wireless network connection
- Windows 10 OS preferred
- Microsoft Office (latest version) (optional) (will be available to students free for download from Thaddeus Stevens once the student starts classes )
NOTE: Those students in the ECAD, ARCH and MET programs may/will need additional hardware requirements for the software used. Please contact your program instructor for additional information.
Thaddeus Stevens College has a PC purchase program through Dell. If you would like to purchase a PC through this program, please go to the following web site: http://dell.com/StevensCollege. You will need to create an account. Please use your stevenscollege.edu email address and if you are asked for a member ID, please use the following: US4189494