Deadline for Submitting Documentation for COMPASS Placement Assessment and for the following fall is May 1st. Please allow 2 weeks for review and response.
Transition Interviews are scheduled with students after they have been admitted to the college.
Documentation must be provided prior to the interview.
Disability Documentation is protected under HIPPA and FERPA and should be shared directly with
the Disabilities Coordinator.
- The student must make the request, not the parent
- The college via Disability Office determines reasonable accommodations
- Disability documentation is very specific (see below)
- Disability information is confidential and shared only on a Need to Know basis.
- Students with disabilities must be “otherwise qualified” and able to perform essential functions with or without accommodations
- Accommodations are not retroactive.
- Accommodations may not be provided without written approval from the Disability Office
Students requesting accommodations or services due to a disability are required to submit documentation to determine eligibility in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act, and Amendment Act of 2009.
- Must include a specific diagnosis (Ex. a specific learning disability in reading),
- Must state how the disability substantially limits a major life activity, such as learning
- Must cite accommodations that are appropriate for the disability with supporting rationale ( Note: Accommodations may not alter pace, content, academic level, or essential skills)
- Must include objective data regarding aptitude, achievement, IQ, information processing, and standard test scores that reflect current level of ability (Ex: Reading comprehension is 10th gr level)
- Must reflect a current need
- Must be completed by a professional such as a psychologist, or medical professional
- May need to include medical clearance if the student is entering a “Safety Sensitive” Program
Types of documentation accepted, but not limited to
- IEP and Evaluation Report or Psychological
- Letter from a physician
- Discharge Summary